Álvaro Segura Ruiz
- Researcher, Technological Development Section, Industrial Division, Clodomiro Picado Institute, University of Costa Rica
- B.A. in Biology, University of Costa Rica, 2001.
Álvaro Segura Ruiz
Since 2006 Álvaro Segura Ruiz is a member of the Technological Development Section (SEDETEC for is acronym in Spanish). The projects in SEDETEC are of great institutional importance because they focus on the improvement of antivenom production processes and the design of new products. On the framework of these two subjects, Álvaro has participated in the re-design of the immunization schemes of hyper immune plasma production horses to increase the production of antivenom immunoglobulins, thus increasing the purity and safety of the derived antivenoms.
Furthermore, Álvaro is working on projects that aim to design or optimize plasma fractionation methodologies. These are accomplished by researches focused on the presence of pathogenic agents and contaminating proteins, and in the stability of the final formulations.
Publicaciones representativas de sus intereses de investigación
- Segura, Á., Herrera, M., González, E., Vargas, M., Solano, G., Gutiérrez, J. M., León, G. (2009). Stability of equine IgG antivenoms obtained by caprylic acid precipitation: Towards a liquid formulation stable at tropical room temperature. Toxicon, 53(6), 609-615. doi: 10.1016/j.toxicon.2009.01.012
- Solano, G., Segura, Á., Herrera, M., Gómez, A., Villalta, M., Gutiérrez, J. M., León, G. (2010). Study of the design and analytical properties of the lethality neutralization assay used to estimate antivenom potency against Bothrops asper snake venom. Biologicals, 38(5), 577-585. doi: 10.1016/j.biologicals.2010.05.006
- Solano, S., Segura, Á., León, G., Gutiérrez, J. M., Burnouf, T. (2012). Low pH formulation of whole IgG antivenom: Impact on quality, safety, neutralizing potency and viral inactivation. Biologicals, 40(2), 129-133. doi: 10.1016/j.biologicals.2011.11.006
- Vargas, M., Segura, Á., Herrera, M., Villalta, M., Angulo, Y., Burnouf, T., Gutiérrez, J. M., León, G. (2012). Purification of IgG and Albumin from Human Plasma by Aqueous Two Phase System Fractionation. Biotechnology Progress, 28(4), 1005-1011. doi: 10.1002/btpr.1565
- Segura, Á., Herrera, M., Villalta, M., Vargas, M., Gutiérrez, J. M., León, G. (2013). Assessment of snake antivenom purity by comparing physicochemical and immunochemical methods. Biologicals, 41(2), 93-97. doi: 10.1016/j.biologicals.2012.11.001