Fernando A. Chaves Mora
- Senior Professor: Clodomiro Picado Institute, Faculty of Microbiology, University of Costa Rica.
- Lic. Microbiology and Clinical Chemistry, University of Costa Rica, 1970
- M.Sc. in Microbiology, University of Costa Rica, 1992.
- Ph.D. in Science, University of Costa Rica, 2006.
Fernando A. Chaves Mora
Has done experimental studies on the physiopathological and biochemical changes induced by snake venoms, neutralization of the toxic effects of venoms through serum therapy with antivenoms, pharmacological modulation of the edema, the role of inflammatory mediators in tissue lesions produced by the envenoming, as well as researches to find natural inhibitors for venoms in plants or synthetics.
He held the position of deputy director of the Institute, coordinator of the Research Division, coordinator of the Teaching Section on Immunology, coordinator of the Antivenom Serum Production Section. He was also the vice dean of the Faculty of Microbiology of the UCR, and dean of this Faculty from 2008 to 2016.
Publicaciones representativas de sus intereses de investigación
- Rucavado, A., Escalante, T., Franceschi, A., Chaves, F., León, G., Cury, Y., Ovadia, M., & Gutiérrez, J. M. (2000). Inhibition of local hemorrhage and dermonecrosis induced by Bothrops asper snake venom: effectiveness of early in situ administration of the peptidomimetic metalloproteinase inhibitor batimastat and the chelating agent CaNa2EDTA. Am J Trop MedHyg, 63(5-6), 313-319.
- Teixeira, C. F. P., Zamunér, S. R., Zuliani, J. P., Fernandes, C. M., Cruz-Hofling, M. A., Fernandes, I., Chaves, F., & Gutiérrez, J. M. (2003). Neutrophils do not contribute to local tissue damage, but play a key role in skeletal muscle regeneration, in mice injected with Bothrops asper snake venom. Muscle Nerve, 28(4), 449-459.
- Chaves, F., Loría, G. D., Salazar, A., & Gutiérrez, J. M. (2003). Intramuscular administration of antivenoms in experimental envenomation by Bothrops asper: comparison between Fab and IgG. Toxicon, 41(2), 237-244.
- Chaves, F., Teixeira, C. F. P. & Gutiérrez, J. M. (2005).Role of TNF-α, IL-1β and IL-6 in the local tissue damage induced by Bothrops asper snake venom: an experimental assessment in mice. Toxicon, 45(2), 171-178.
- Teixeira, C. F. P., Chaves, F., Zamunér, S. R., Fernandes, C. M., Zuliani, J. P., Cruz-Hofling, M. A., Fernandes, I,. & Gutiérrez, J. M. (2005). Effects of neutrophil depletion in the localpathological alterations and muscle regeneration in mice injected with Bothrops jararaca snake venom. Int J Exp Pathol, 86(2), 107-115.
- Chaves, F., Teixeira, C. F. P., & Gutiérrez, J. M. (2006). Role of nitric oxide in the local and systemic pathophysiological effects induced by Bothrops asper snake venom in mice. Inflamm Res, 55, 245-253.